About Courthouse Gallery
Karin and Michael Wilkes opened the Courthouse Gallery Fine Art on July 20, 2006. The opening reception for the inaugural exhibition, “Ellsworth Revisited: The Artist’s View” was attended by hundreds of guests anxious to see the artwork and the newly renovated historic courthouse (built in 1838 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places). The exhibit, curated by Carl Little and Karin Wilkes, featured original oil paintings of Ellsworth by Carroll Sargent Tyson, an American Impressionist (1878-1956), and new works by 18 noted Maine artists from the area. Governor Baldacci attended the ribbon cutting the previous morning.
The Wilkes bought the historic courthouse and registry from the City of Ellsworth in 2005 when the City put the municipal property out to bid based on the best idea for their historic preservation and the community. The Wilkes proposal to use the historic courthouse as an art gallery was approved unanimously. KMW DESIGN, a marketing and graphic design firm owned by Karin Marshall Wilkes, is also housed at the courthouse.